CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Blind Skiing


One of the fastest growing sports among the disabled community is blind skiing. Amazing. I did a little bit of research on it and discovered that there are two levels of competition, fully blind and partially blind. I want to talk a little bit about partially blind skiing.

In a way we Christians are partially blind, listen to what Paul writes in Corinthians


"For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known." 1 Corinthians 13: 9-12


When I learned about partially blind skiing I was amazed at how much it is similar to the Christian life. In Partial Blind Skiing, the Ski Guide goes before the competitor. He is ahead, first, leading the way. There is always the potential of a huge crash so this is what the blind person must to..



  1. Stay as close to the guide as possible. They can only see the shadow of the guide but that is enough, they chase the shadow of the guide.

  2. They must trust in the voice of the guide, they are completely dependent upon the ability, character and expertise of the guide.

  3. They must be responsive to the guides directions. If the guide says left, it's non negotiable.

I have thought a lot of the parallels between being a partially blind skier and following Jesus. My mind goes to John 10, when Jesus says, my sheep know my voice. The middle eastern shepherd went out in front of his flock and then called them to himself. The flock recognised the shepherds voice and moved in that direction.


King David had this relationship with God, he was like a partially blind skier in a land with no snow and probably no skiing!


The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

1 comments:

ken said...

Stevie,
we're chatting about the blind man in John 9 and then Jesus comments about I AM the gate and I AM the shepherd this sunday night at the hub. wish you were there to join us! ah well, see you and pete in less than 2 months!